Forums > RWBY

Your RWBY OC Weapons 3D Modeled (Basic)

Posts (144)

• Kalephrex

Kalephrex FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 3D Modeler, Weapon Ogler

#33292543 - 10 months ago

Hi, I'm new to the whole "interacting with a forum" idea, but I'm very intrigued, inspired even by threads by fellow fans like the "Want your OC drawn?" group:

http://roosterteeth.com/forum/...

And I've decided to try out a very similar idea.  So here's the "get your rwby weapons 3d modeled" thread and probably not the end of my obsession with "quotations".  And with that I suppose I'll introduce myself:

I'm a fresh new college student living in New York studying engineering and doing 3D modeling for fun with Blender and the hopes of sneaking my way into the game and animation industry.  

TL;DR I'll make some cool weapons that you post here.  Follow the guidelines and they could look like BASIC FORMS of this: http://kalephrex.deviantart.co... 

Now, back to the matter at HAND (just had a Yang flashback).  My guidelines are very similar to the ones set by Smugtisser on his (or her) recently closed thread:

1. Be informed. I will work for free and in return, I will have no schedule and no quotas.  That is to say that this thread is maybe 70% for pleasure (I like modeling) and 30% to be more involved with the community and show my fandom.  Of course I will do my best to stick to descriptions, but bear in mind that there is no semblance of any contract binding my will.

2.  Be specific. For the descriptions themselves, please provide as much as possible.  Words, images, visceral feelings in your upper left abdomen (excluding appendicitis) anything and everything will do.  Specify any lights, propulsion, moving parts, etc.  Even a jerryrigged MS Paint pic is worlds ahead of a paragraph.  

3.  Be thoughtful. I will prefer and most likely model the most thoughtful ideas.  Anyone can say "slap a machete to a flamethrowing shotgun and it'll revolutionize the rwbyverse!" but honestly, it probably won't UNLESS you can describe the synergy between weapon, character, and semblance.  The main team (RWBY) and their weapons all include some movement utility and have indirect powers other than direct.  Ex:

Ember Celica - shoots shotgun shells and fire

Cheesy and Lame - fires a bullet that kills everything it touches and pierces any shield

The RWBY weapons (whole series) are cool because they allow the characters to play their roles and complete their tasks, they don't become godkillers and hacks, but at best they can allow CHARACTERS to slay gods and hack away at foes.

4.  Be Original.  In all honesty, I think that the great Excalibur is a lame weapon because it's shape and design has no special function.  I could name a slice of toast Excalibur and give it the power to rule England and it would serve the same function.  In essence, the only special thing about Excalibur is that somebody said it was special.  And that's lame.  Crescent Rose (Ruby's scythe), in contrast, is special because it is a SNIPER RIFLE SCYTHE THAT TRANSFORMS.  There is nothing else like it and nobody can mistake it's unique design or it's iconic functions.  A good weapon is arguably mightier than a pen.  A GREAT weapon signs it's signature in such a way that none other can imitate.  You could replace King Arthur's sword with any longsword in history and it would look the same in pictures and paintings.  But nobody opens a jar of pickles quite like Crescent Rose.

Thanks for reading.  And I look forward to finding new ways to kill, slay, slice, dice, burn, shoot, cut.... time until the release of volume 4!

My Work - A link because idk how to post images. (help?)

http://kalephrex.deviantart.co...

<<<<<<Disclaimer - They're not going to look as good as the ones on my page.  These are not final products, they are essentially concept art to help you visualize and show off.  Most weapons on my page take around 3-8 hours, I'm thinking maybe 1-3 hours per weapon here.  Feedback is much appreciated.>>>>>

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33292546 - 10 months ago

Heyo, It's cool to see what Smug inspired. Below is a rough hand drawing and a written description of my OC weapon. Thanks in advance.

Weaponry: (Drawing in profile.)

Custom made sword that can transform into a lever action rifle. Named "Argus" in memory of his mentor's passing.

Specifics: 4' long x 8" wide blade (total length approximately 5')

Gun barrel is .50 caliber diameter and 42" long.

The gun's magazine is a cylindrical canister inserted into the mechanism where the sword blade and hilt meet. Each ammunition canister stores 32 fire dust rounds before a reload is needed.

Cut into the blade is a hook that is used as a disarming tool in sword mode and a forward grip in gun mode.

I also, out of curiosity, calculated a ballpark weight for this weapon if it was made from steel and it turned out to be approximately 85lbs. This is almost 19 times heavier than the largest real life greatsword so I added a gravity dust crystal to the pommel of the sword to make the weight more manageable while being activated by aura. The reduced weight also decreases the hitting power if the sword.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33293101 - 10 months ago

I'm working on a design for a custom plasma weapon called the Polyphase Warfare Rectifier, and I have the diagram of the weapon in standard OFF mode done, so I'll give a close-up of the plasma projections and a picture of the OC holding it while it's on once I'm done. That may take a few days.

• Angelus987

Angelus987 Archangel of Prowess

#33293389 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

Hi there. I just want to say it's wonderful to see another great artist like Smug doing something like this. People like you allow people like me to transfer their creative talents from text to art (Since I have zero drawing skill and am very low on funds) So thank you ever so much. Now I hope you like this weapon, since it seemed to get a lot of positivity on the Rwby OC submission page.

Weapon:

The weapon, Fenrir, is a Firearm-Compounded Combustion Blade, a longsword that can transform into dual high calibre handguns, and split down the middle into dual single edged blades. Note that in order to use his pistols, he must first change the blade into dual blades mode. The blade of Fenrir can also set itself alight, but only in single blade mode. The combustion part comes from the fact that when the blade is on fire, its user: Wulfric, can rev the hilt of his blade like a motorcycle throttle. This causes fire dust to be sprayed from the cross guard around the blade, and causes it to literally explode, whilst the blade, and the wielder behind, are unharmed if used properly. If necessary, Wulfric can also activate Ragnarok mode, which splits the longsword's blade down the middle while alight, (Similar to Dove Bronzewing's sword, but with a bit of a bigger split). If revved in this mode the blade creates a humongous forward explosion that usually obliterates anything the tips are facing at, but uses up an entire fire dust cartridge. This mode, Wulfric saves for tough opponents, as it leaves him vulnerable afterwards.

Now, just a few titbits: The cross guard itself is bladed, but not any longer than it should be. In the middle of the cross guard is a small circular hole where the fire dust cartridge is inserted. Also, The pommel of the blade is in the shape of a Wolf's head with ruby eyes, which acts as a grappling hook, attached by a cable contained within the hilt, which when fired, the Wolf's head opens it's jaw and chomps down on whatever it hits to act as the grappling hook.

I hoped you liked it. If you need any more details don't hesitate to ask, but I'm giving you considerable freedom about the bade, so do whatever you feel looks cool.  Also, I don't know if this will help, but if you've seen the Star Wars fan made film: Kylo Ren The Awakening, the style used is how I would imagine my character Wulfric's fighting style would be without the blade being alight

(Note it's Ren his style is similar to, and obviously, without the use of the Force at hand.)

In any case, take your time, do your best, but most importantly have fun!

• Kalephrex

Kalephrex FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold 3D Modeler, Weapon Ogler

#33293463 - 10 months ago

In reply to GenErick64 Thanks for posting dude! A few questions, what colors and where? And I noticed that the top portion of the blade becomes the barrel for the gun, could you describe how that works?  Does the barrel come out of the main blade? Btw I think it's really cool that you did research into the weight but I wouldn't worry about that, I'm pretty sure Ruby weighs a fifth of her scythe.

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33293479 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

Well, the blade is just a steel grey and the mechanism in the hilt is a darker grey. The emblem on the ammunition canister and the grip are both a sapphire blue color. The hand guard is also steel grey.

The gun barrel is inside the blade and when the hilt is angled and locked, the blade splits and the top half of the blade slides back slightly.

• Kalephrex

#33293623 - 10 months ago

In reply to GenErick64   Here we go!  In all reality this took a little over an hour to make but it took forever for me to fix my pc.  I also took a few creative freedoms with a couple details.  The hilt mechanism also has 32 blue lights to indicate the ammo.  I hope you like it and for my inaugural community weapon, I'd be glad to give you more views or make small changes. 

Idk how to post pics (help!) so try right clicking and select "open image in new tab"

argus.png?dl=0

• Kalephrex

#33293629 - 10 months ago

Wow ain't that a surprise!  Lads and Gents, we have a new recruit!  Deaddigit is our newest smith at the forge.  That's right, in less than a week we already have a second artist!  So if you guys see any super cool weapons on the forums, I encourage you to send them here.  And when Deaddigit makes his (or her) intro post, I hope they get a nice round of "Salutations!"  

• Angelus987

#33293647 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

Ohh thi is gonna be great! If there's any more willing forge master's I see, I'll try and send them here too.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33293652 - 10 months ago

Here's the ON mode image with my OC in it. I'll scan and send you the diagram in a bit.

• Kalephrex

#33293659 - 10 months ago

In reply to Angelus987  Color scheme?  You can tell me primary, secondary, tertiary or just tell me what parts are what color.  For some reason I pictured orange.  As for the shape of the blades, I'll take you up on your "creative freedoms" challenge, hope you like sci-fi with a dash of fantasy!

• Angelus987

#33293668 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

The Blade itself I first imagined as just plain steel colored, (boring I know...) I don't think that Orange would be too good an idea, since the colour scheme of it's user is white, so that would be a terrible clash. But again, I'm going to give you a bit of freedom on how you colour it, but try to do a suitable colour that goes with white. (However a darkish blade might not be a bad idea...) your choice.

And just so you know, if you're going to draw Fenrir alight, it has to either be in Single blade mode, or Ragnarok mode. The dual blades mode he uses for versatility and flexibility.

But I'm definitely up for sci fi/fantasy, ooooh yeah!

Oh, and I may just want to mention that it's wielder is a Prince. Don't know if that'll help you with inspiration, but better safe than sorry.

In anycase good luck! You're only designing a high explosive sword. Hehehe...

Just remember, have fun!

• Smuglord

Smuglord

#33293697 - 10 months ago

I'll put mine out there, I love the look of what you have produced on your devart and respect what you're doing here. In RWBY, the weapons are as important as the characters themselves. 

First we have Ardent Bastion, Saffron's punch-bucklers that are also burst fire subguns. They can rapidly spin on an angle to shift between melee and ranged use. When used for melee, they can shoot backward for added momentum used in either punching or moblilty.

WjkwdkO.png

jbM18BN.jpg

zrEVkQ7.png

Next is Jitterbug, Blues' staff weapon with two chakram-like blades on each end. The blades can spin like toothless buzzsaws or transform into propellers that through the use of Wind Dust can produce small cyclones or bursts of wind. The blades can also be fired for a ranged attack that will return at a wide angle like a boomerang.

LNOtVLj.png

xwhTVKp.png

eEeoHB2.png

Next is Globus Cruciger, the rather silly whip/megaflail weapon that Eminence wields. If not for her Semblance that allows her to shrink the massive gold-painted iron ball it would be rather impossible to wield, not to speak of carrying. It is generally used as a whip, the tip only returned to full size mid-swing for heavy attacks. The scepter part uses controlled red dust explosions to keep people who comes within the whips range away from the user.

QfScEnG.png

BLpaA9f.png

LQHJYEc.png

Finally there is Bidentis, Laurel's polearm/heavy machine rifle weapon. Used by the teams primary ranged fighter, the ranged form can be fired either stationary with great precision at great range due to the long barrel, or carried if Laurel boosts her physical strength to counteract the recoil though still at a loss of accurate fireing. The melee form of the weapon is wielded as its shape implies but thrusts from the weapon can be recoil boosted from the end of the handle. 

aqmEom1.png

qjo065p.png

I've always been rather baffled by those capable of 3d modeling, and you certainly seem skilled. I do hope that one of these will pique your interrest at some degree

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33293698 - 10 months ago

In reply to Smugtisser

I've got one question for you: Is Saffron a chick or a dude?

• Smuglord

Smuglord

#33293703 - 10 months ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Saff's a woman.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33293715 - 10 months ago

In reply to Smugtisser

Oh okay, with all that muscle I wasn't 100% sure if those were boobs or pecks on her chest. Thanks for clearing that up.

• GenErick64

#33293728 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

That looks awesome, I like the additions you made, it works well.

P.S. If the image is uploaded online to a site like an image sharing site etc. (brain fart) just right click and select 'copy image' and paste it into the text box.

• ImmaThinkin

ImmaThinkin

#33293732 - 10 months ago

In reply to GenErick64

Sometimes you'll have to spam Ctrl-V. That's the way it is with my PC, anyways. Also, I find it works better to have your image saved on your profile.

• Kalephrex

#33293736 - 10 months ago

In reply to Smugtisser Gotta say, dude, really cool weapons and great artwork!  I'd love to make those weapons, especially since "you were the one" who inspired  me to do this in the first place, and now it's my turn to give back (vol 3 song reference).  Once I'm finished with Angelus I'd be honored to have your designs in my forge (that's my new catchphrase now).  Glad to be working with you and everyone who has responded so far.  Artist's block, begone!  

• CloverWIck

CloverWIck

#33293760 - 10 months ago

I'd like to give a try:

Desert Jackal

It's a Custom Ballistic Claymore Arms, a pair of handguns of similar design to Dante's Ebony and Ivory (Colt 1911s with custom grip and extended slide, but opens like Desert Eagle instead) that rapidly fire energy rounds extracted Dust crystals loaded from the opening in the moving slide like RL Desert Eagle, here's the pic:

1287737336.jpg

The guns' hand-grips each hid half of a claymore blade which is its melee form. In order to activate the melee form, the guns needs to be joined at the slide forming a T, the front part of the slides extended to hand and a half length to function as the sword's handle and the trigger and trigger guard will be folded into the gun, whilst the grips each opened, revealing each halves of the blade which will then fused and extended towards opposite direction of the barrel to form a full length double-edged claymore blade. Since both handguns carries Dust crystals for ammo, Desert Jackal in its melee form can feed the extracted Dust energy from both crystals into different sharp edge of the blade to enhance its power, e.g. if the left handgun uses Ice Dust and the right one uses Flame Dust, in melee form the left sharp edge of the blade will glow blue while the right glows orange.

• Smuglord

Smuglord

#33293810 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

It truly makes me happy to hear that what i did inspired someone else to do something like this. I have an idea, what about a trade? For each of my characters weapons you decide to do a 3D model of, i'll draw an OC of yours? I'd love to give something back, and this is about all i am capable of.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold One who is judged by the

#33293822 - 10 months ago

Okay my turn.

Okay this is Nyx from Final fantasy Kingsglaive. The weapon you see on the left side of the screen that is our base.

Now I have that Knife out of wood and I have a couple of Pictures of it so let us see if those screenshots I used can be brought over.

Detail

Close Up

Okay looks like it worked.

So using the Close Up as the Base for all this I want to merge the weapon with This design which is Batour from Wild Arms Tv.

Taking the Handle of the Knife that all stays the same the trigger is in the finger hook you can clearly see.

The Hammer of the Gun is the Backside crossguard aka what faces the loop of your Thumb when you hold it. 

That Piece of Metal on the back of the blade you can see? That is where the Barrel is. The  curved forward blade folds into itself much like Emerald's weapon does.

The Chamber instead of doing a Breach Action like the one in the picture uses a swing out arm instead.

It uses Slugs like from Destiny which each has a different dust.

In Gun Form it can fire the shots and impacts release the dust so Fire Dust explodes into a fireball, Lightning into a Ball of Lightning.

When in Knife form pulling the trigger injects the Dust instead charging the weapon instead with Dust.

Here is a rough layout on the pivot and barrel locations to better help you understand.

If I need to explain more let me know.

• Kalephrex

#33294008 - 10 months ago

In reply to Angelus987  I haven't forgotten about you, bro.  Deaddigit has been a little busy but they've got a nice work window in the near future so I thought I'd hand over your request to them as a way to refresh their skills and get familiar with the subject since your request is somewhat simple and loose.  We greatly appreciate your support.

• Kalephrex

#33294014 - 10 months ago

In reply to Smugtisser  Jitterbug's staff was a very fun project, hope you like it.  I'm going to start to post a link to my dropbox folder which will contain all the files for this forum.  That way you can always come back to the folder and check out the progress of this forum.  Jitterbug's staff has been posted along with a few more pics of GenErick's Argus.  And to take you up on your offer, I'd love to see a colored and better  drawn pic of my OC Igneitius Flare, pic is in the folder.  I'm thinking a lot of warm colors, with a decent emphasis on dark red.  

Public Dropbox Folder

Here's a new segment thing, every time I add a new weapon I'll also post a tidbit about 3d modeling since it seems that people don't know much about it.  If you have questions, post them and I'll try to address them with my tidbits!

Tidbit #1 - 3D models can be scaled infinitely large or small without any loss in resolution

• Smuglord

Smuglord

#33294099 - 10 months ago

In reply to Kalephrex

This is really lovely. Beautiful model, i like it a lot. Now, about Igneitius, any color specifics? Like the color of her hair, eyes and skin?

9ShrF3r.png

LjvA5Kp.png