Forums > RWBY

Create a character for RWBY

Posts (81626)

• Tuckapenguin

Tuckapenguin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33542633 - 2 months ago

There's a few that I appreciate fandom wide ones that I appreciate. Taji and other OCs created by Tajitengu , crazyfoxmimi's Team Star (and gang) and a few others really stand out in my mind. Sadly its dependent on art just because RWBY is so visual. It means I really appreciate it when people try to draw and damn the critics.

I grew up in the Sailor Moon and Pokemon fandoms and one thing I've noticed is that back in those days, the fandom was braver about trying new things. Everyone had a fansite dedicated to their fanfiction or their group of otaku senshi. Even if it was dodgy as sin, it was fun and interesting and unique! There were people writing midi's as theme songs for their OCs, AMVs for their OCs, websites dedicated to art requests , contests for their OCs, lore and history of their OC! So much!

All gone. Its funny that with more professional programs available for free, less people are utilizing them. Everyone says they can't draw, but there's free digital art programs, a million tutorials on youtube and people climbing backwards to offer you bases and resources. Need to write a fanfiction but having trouble organising?  yWriter is there to help! Want to make an AMV of your OC? Sony Vegas! Want to make a website, Wix and Weebly are free drag and drops! I grew up on html and geocities. I'd have eaten my own foot for that!

And yet everything gets dumped in a hub. Its more likely to be seen, but more forgettable. because its part of an ever scrolling, ever updating eternity. You guys are great, but there's only a handful of OCs I remember because they're lost in the back pages.

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542651 - 2 months ago

look i know i've been an ass okay and i apologize for that it's part of my personality. i have been working on fixing it but i mainly wanted to say was yes i've been rude selfish and even childish at times. but i never meant any of it i know i've caused problems for everyone after all i'm a problem child. i've hurt people i didn't want to hurt i'm sorry for all the pain i put everyone through if you don't want to forgive me that's fine i won't blame nor scorn you. i'm rude selfish crude reckless even arrogent at times i've come to terms with that and i want to change it. i remember when Jymarucrew said they believed in me that made me quite happy so all i ask is for you to at least give me a chance if you don't want to i won't force. after much thought i came to terms with the fact that i'am a child and i'am a bit of an attention seeker.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33542653 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

"professional programs available for free"

"Sony Vegas"

At first I laughed because Sony Vegas is still like $600 but then I cried because it was a painful reminder that I'm broke as shit.

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542657 - 2 months ago

please excuse my terrible grammar.

• AlbionBard

AlbionBard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33542658 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

In reply to Malochroma

Honestly if your doing something as basic as an AMV use videotape.  It's free and the full version was £30 and it's a pretty competent video tool.

• Malochroma

Malochroma FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Treenerd Hugger

#33542660 - 2 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard

TBH I just use Movie Maker for all my shit because all I do is speedpaints and animation stuff that is mostly compiled in Photoshop's limited video timeline tool.

• AlbionBard

AlbionBard FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33542663 - 2 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

that's fair. Videopad is what I use for my lore videos because windows 10 has no movie maker and my new laptop was 10 inbuilt

• Malochroma

#33542665 - 2 months ago

In reply to AlbionBard

Really? I've got Windows 10 and I have it.

I might have downloaded it off of the windows website? I know I got it freely and legally somehow.

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542668 - 2 months ago

did anyone read my latter of apology above?

• AlbionBard

#33542669 - 2 months ago

In reply to Malochroma

might be a regional thing? I had a look for moviemaker online and had no luck. No big deal regardless, the point is your don't need a high function kit like Sony Vegas for AMVs. That's like using a Nasa grade supercomputer to run tetras in the web browser

• Biggsy-464

Biggsy-464

#33542672 - 2 months ago

In reply to kuro_takanashi101

Yeah, its cool man we all have faults, mine are most apparent in my work whether OC or maths

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542679 - 2 months ago

can you guys at least say something Mal? Al?

• Malochroma

#33542680 - 2 months ago

In reply to kuro_takanashi101

Sorry, got distracted by video games.

Apology accepted, I understand that it's easy to get frustrated and resentful when there's a lot of negativity flowing in your direction, just try to watch your temper in the future.

• Tuckapenguin

Tuckapenguin FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33542681 - 2 months ago

A poor workman blames his tools and where there's a will there's a way. A beginner with no money should start off with something free so they don't waste a lot of money if they quit. The more time you invest in a program, the more you work out its tricks and tips. I have access to both Photoshop (supposedly the better program if its costing $600 bucks) and Clip Studio which I got for $30 bucks. 

You can get Adobe CS2 for free now and a decent tablet for $50

Before that I had a pirated Adobe 7 from 2005 and a mouse. 

sailor_aello1_by_bushtuckapenguin.jpg

Where there's a will, there's a way. Didn't stop me making Mary Sues...

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542682 - 2 months ago

i know i also have anger issues always have since i was little.

• Malochroma

#33542684 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

I literally don't know what point you're trying to make here with the "poor workman" metaphor? Like, please clarify what you're trying to get at. All I did was laugh at the idea of Sony Vegas being free, I never said "I can't do X because Y is too expensive." I DO do X, as I mentioned two posts above.

(Also, I can get Photoshop for $10 a month with their photography plan, so it'd take 5 straight years for it to cost me $600 dollars again.)

• Sosen7x

Sosen7x FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Comet

#33542685 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

Two things: I'd argue that clip studio and SAI are better, but Photoshop is the "industry standard" so there's that.  Personally prefer the former's for texture mapping rather than Photoshop just for the additional tools.  The other is I blame my tools, though that's mostly the hardware that struggles to run Autodesk Maya.

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542689 - 2 months ago

i've not a clue what is going on but i use Microsoft paint when i'm designing swords.

• Malochroma

#33542690 - 2 months ago

In reply to Sosen7x

did really like SAI, but like you said, Photoshop is the industry standard, and I do want to get into the industry at some point. Gotta learn the tools and all that.

(Also I've found myself growing increasingly fond of Photoshop the more I use it. Call it an acquired taste.)

• Tuckapenguin

#33542692 - 2 months ago

I'm trying to say you get get started with Krita and Fire Alpaca and Mediabang and still make something brilliant. At the beginning I kept telling myself I'd be a great artist if only I could have the next big, expensive program (which as an Australian was Photoshop, $1200) but what made me improve is by trying, and keep trying and practicing. 

• jVictor

jVictor FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold For Science

#33542693 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

I'm still mad I didn't find out about Clip Studio earlier. It could've saved me so much time.

• Malochroma

#33542694 - 2 months ago

In reply to Tuckapenguin

Ah.

Okay.

• kuro_takanashi101

kuro_takanashi101

#33542695 - 2 months ago

i'm thinking of making an oc team based off alcohol after i finish team PINK which i'm pretty done working on except for backgrounds.